Thursday, February 12, 2015

Romeo & Juliet...nowadays

Romeo and Juliet

ACT III, SCENE V

Ladies and gentlemen, you are going to see the fifth scene of Romeo and Juliet. They have just spent their first night together after the marriage, but the day after Romeo must go to Mantua and they greet each other. We miss an appropriate place, visual and sound effects, so you have to use your fantasy to imagine the real scene. Excuse us for our bad performance, and delight it.
[Enter Romeo and Juliet]
Juliet: Would you like to go yet? That sound you heard was the nightingale, not the lark. Every night it sings on the tree: believe me, love, it was the nightingale.
Romeo: It was the lark, the bird that sings at dawn, not the nightingale: look, love, night is over and day is coming. I must go and live or stay and die.
Juliet: That light is not day-light, I know it: it’s just a meteor coming out of the sun to light your way to Mantua. So stay for a while, you don’t have to go yet.
Romeo: Let me be captured and put to death. I will stay and die, if you want it. It isn’t day-light!
Juliet: It is morning! Some say the lark makes a sweet division between day and night but it is not true because it separates us. Go away! Quickly!
[Enter Nurse]
Nurse: Juliet!
Juliet: Nurse?
Nurse: Your mother is coming to your bedroom. Be careful!
[Exit]
Juliet: You have to go away!
Romeo: Farewell! Farewell! Give me one kiss and I’ll go down.
Juliet: I must hear from you every day in a hour. In a minute there are many days. Oh, by this count I’ll be  many years older before I see my Romeo again!
Romeo: Farewell! I won’t miss any chance to send you my greetings.
Juliet: O God, I’m having a bad prediction. Now that you are down there, you look like someone dead in the bottom of a tomb. Either my eyesight is falling me, or you look pale.
Romeo: And trust me love, you look pale to me too. Sadness takes away our colour. Goodbye! Goodbye!

Rachele Cipponeri
Valeria Biondolillo
Simona La Piana
Chiara Genualdi

No comments:

Post a Comment