Thursday, February 12, 2015

Romeo & Juliet...nowadays



ROMEO&JULIET

Ladies and gentleman, you will see a free interpretation of a scene from Romeo and Juliet. However our story is a little bit different. By setting the scene in  the twenty-first century, we hope to make you smile. So, let’s see how now the story could be.
Juliet: Are you leaving me so early? It’s not day yet! Are you deaf? Our alarm clock has not rung yet, trust me! It was our neighbours’ one.
Romeo: It was ours, I set it yesterday to be on time today. Look!The sun is rising! I must go and be safe or stay and be in troubles.
Juliet: But light is not coming from the sun, but from an helycopter of the near jail. Stay with me, it’s no time for you to go!
Romeo: Okay! If you want me to stay, I’ll do it so. If my ruin makes you happy, I’ll  be happy with you. I’ll confirm all the lies you’re telling to me. You know, I’d rather prefer to stay than to leave, but if you want to tie me to such a cruel destiny I’ll make ropes like roses, beautiful, perfumed but prickly. Come troubles, and welcome! Juliet wills so. Let’s talk, it’s not day.
Juliet: It is! It is! So go , fast, go away! It’s the alarm clock that is making such a defeaning noise, and the helycopter is no more than the ring sun…. th-th-th-the shots of Jack Daniel’s I drunk yesterday are still having their effect on me. Oh! Sun… helycopter… alarm clock.. time…. i’d like them to swap roles because those silly things are breaking our existence.
Romeo: More and more light, troubles and more troubles….
[ Knocks Juliet’s sister ]
Sister: Juliet!!!
Juliet: Yes!?
Sister: Mom is coming! It’s eight o’clock! Let Romeo go where he has to go! [ Exit ]
Juliet: I want you  to text me every day of every hours. Oh… I’ll be old when we will meet again.
Romeo: Goodbye! I’ll let you have news, don’t worry!
Juliet: Will we meet again?
Romeo: I think so, this stressful situation will make our reunification sweeter; and there are also Facebook and Whats App to keep in touch.
Juliet: Oh Romeo! You seem so pale like a corp, I can almost see you in a tomb! What am I saying!? I’m too tipsy and scared so I have hallucinations.
Romeo: I think you’re just tired and scared, but trust me honey, I feel what you feel, but our love is not like the Jack Daniel’s you are tipsy for… it’s more a blood-like fluid that gives life… even to dead lovers. Goodbye![Kissing her hand][ Exit ]
[ Knocks Juliet’s sister ]
Sister: Oh Juliet! You are so lovely, your eyes are so linked each other and I guess your souls too. When I walked into the room, I saw a loving couple, the best in my opinion. I sure you’ll meet again and, if you want, I can give you a lift to Mantua next week.
Juliet. Thanks sister! You are so kind
Sister: You can always count on me. I’m sure you’ll soon get married.
Characters:
Romeo: Grazia Giulia Ribbeni
Juliet: Denise Giano
Juliet's sister: Samirah Abdul Munim


 

 

1 comment:

  1. Enrico Costa

    I think that this reinterpretation of the scene V of Romeo and Juliet is hilarious and it works very well, considering that the things that are mentioned belong to our modern world.On the other side it reveals a sad reality , in fact social media and tecnology completely changed our life.Nowadays people tend to spend more time chatting than going out and having some good quality moments together and even two lovers that , like Romeo and Juliet risk to not be able to see each other again , would take comfort from the fact that they could still be able to chat.Another relevant difference from those times is that today it is much easier for people to live their love stories fully , without any obstacle , whereas in the past most of the relationships were impossible because of parents arranging marriages , fortunately today there is more freedom , however every period has its pros and cons.I really appreciated this text because it gave me the opportunity to think more deeply about this important topics
    -Enrico Costa

    ReplyDelete